Where can I build my community?
You might have felt stuck or that you don’t know where to start if you don’t know which places are best for you.
With the rise of social media, communication is easier than ever.
Nowadays there are hundreds of places to create your community. They range from social networking sites that people visit daily to forums specifically for members of a certain niche.
If you’re an entrepreneur, blogger, or internet marketer, it is important to have a strong online presence.
What is the Best online place to build a community?
Know your audience
1. Where is your audience hanging out?
If you want to grow a community, there’s no better place than where your target audience already hangs out.
Whatever your marketing niche or business goal, you need to be where your target audience is.
If your target audience is active on Reddit, go there. If they like YouTube, publish videos. If they’re watching a lot of cat videos on Facebook, you better be doing the same thing.
The best online places to build a community are where people like to hang out and interact.
2. Don’t be on every platform
When it comes to social media, too many people get overwhelmed by the idea of “being on every platform.”
While there are definitely benefits to having a presence on multiple social media platforms, especially when your business is focused on selling products or services to consumers, it’s not necessary to be spending your precious time and energy trying to maintain and grow a presence everywhere.
If you’re just starting out, don’t try to be everywhere.
3. Pick one platform
Pick one platform that seems best suited for reaching your audience and focus on it until you have some traction.
You’ll find that once you have some fans or followers, they’ll start sharing your content with their friends, who may help spread the word about your project even further (which helps you grow your presence on the network).
And then it’ll be time to think about adding another platform into the mix.
4. What content does your audience like to share?
Once you’ve picked one platform to focus on in the beginning, it’s time to get creative!
Think about what kind of content is going to resonate with your audience: are they always talking about their favorite movies? Social media is a great place to get them engaged in a conversation about that topic.
Get inspired by your competitor’s other social platform.
Check their posts and list the most liked ones. Then create some similar posts to get traction and sharing. After that, you have an audience ready to listen to you for your original content.
Best social media to build your community
Facebook is the most popular social media platform. Did you know that on any given day, Facebook has an audience of 1.82 billion users?
That makes it an ideal place to build a community. After all, the more people you talk to, the greater chance there is of finding your tribe!
There are several ways you can use Facebook to attract a following and communicate with your members. The first option is setting up a business page on Facebook (if you don’t already have one).
This gives you access to features such as groups, where members can discuss shared interests; live video, which lets members interact with each other in real-time; and events, which lets them organize meetups based on their passion.
Facebook also has lots of ad targeting options for businesses who want to raise awareness about their website or products—you can narrow down who sees your ads by age, gender, and location.
Twitter is a social media platform that allows you to share your thoughts, ideas, and content.
It is a great tool for building an online community.
You can easily reach out to other people in your industry and connect with them, as well as learn from them. Simply by looking at their profile and what they tweet about, you can have an idea of their expertise or area of interest.
Twitter’s community feature is amazing.
The community feature allows you to follow any Twitter community you want.
- Use LinkedIn to build a profile.
- Find a group by going to the top of your home page and clicking Groups. From there, you can search for groups.
- Once you’ve found a group you like, join it; this will give you access to their discussion board and events calendar.
- Connect with people by clicking on their picture or name on the board or event page, then hitting “Connect”.
Instagram is a social media app that allows you to share photos and videos with your followers. It’s one of the most popular apps in the world, so it makes sense to be present on this platform-especially if you plan to market your business.
With Instagram, you can find people with similar interests by hashtags. For example, #momsarecool or #musicisawesome are just two hashtags out of hundreds that allow you to find people who like what you like.
Meetup.com is a website designed to connect people with similar interests who live close by facilitating in-person social gatherings.
There are Meetup groups for just about any activity or topic imaginable, so the site is a great way to find new friends and acquaintances who share your interests.
If you can’t find the group that meets what you’re looking for, Meetup also lets you start your own.
Reddit is the largest online community, with over 330 million users and thousands of subreddits on just about every topic of interest.
Redditors are often very knowledgeable, which makes it a great place to get answers to your burning questions and connect with others who share your interests.
The tone is more serious in nature than other social media sites (though there are many funny memes as well). And because Reddit is community-driven, it’s a great platform for contributing your knowledge and expertise — not self-promoting.
YouTube is a great place to build community. It’s easy to start a conversation with your audience—just respond to comments! And you’re in control of the style and tone of the channel, so you can showcase your personality.
Plus, it’s intuitive to use (you can create an account and start sharing content in minutes) and allows you to share your interests or expertise.
If you want people to watch your videos, though, there are some things that need doing first.
Here’s how it works: you develop a profile and ask questions, browse through the content, and get answers. This site is an excellent choice for people looking to find and build a community about a specific topic.
TikTok is a great platform for building a community and engaging with your audience. One thing that’s unique about this platform is that it lets you create really short videos—just 15 to 60 seconds long—and you can use those videos to engage your audience in all sorts of ways.
10. Forums and Message Boards
- Forums and message boards are some of the best places to build a community online. They are great for sharing and learning about anything that interests you.
- When you join a forum, you can make new friends with similar interests, share your knowledge on a subject, or learn more about something brand new! These online communities can be very active and fun to contribute to.
- There are many different types of forums out there, including forums devoted to specific places (like cities), social sites (like MeetUp), work-related exchanges (like Reddit), hobbies, sports, games and much more!
How to get your first community members?
Engage with other communities
One of the biggest concerns we hear is: how do I get people to join my community?
The answer is simple—engage and comment on other communities. If you genuinely help people and provide value that’s unmatched, you’ll drive traffic fast to your own community.
- That’s right—you can get a ton of new members for your community by engaging with other Facebook groups that already have a lot of people in them. And if you’re able to genuinely help people, you’ll actually drive traffic from those communities straight to yours.
- How do you get involved in a community where you’re not a member? Start by following it and joining the conversation on the posts that are public. Once you start becoming an active participant in the community, you can reach out to an admin and request an invite.
- You don’t have to be shy about asking to join either—in fact, it’s good for admins to see who wants to be in their group so they can check out your profile and make sure you’re a good fit for the group’s culture. They may not approve everyone who requests membership, but at least they’ll know who’s interested and why.
- Of course, just being accepted into a community isn’t enough—you also have to participate! Respond to posts, ask questions, and comment on other people’s comments too. Be helpful when you can.
Getting your first community members can be a challenge. You want to grow a vibrant, active community, but how do you get those initial members that make all the difference?
There’s no single right way to build a community, especially when it comes to getting your first few members. But here are some ideas you can use in conjunction with one another to create a winning PHYGITAL strategy (physical + digital) for building your community:
Host an event or meetup: Events are great opportunities for people to come together and share something they’re passionate about.
This is especially great if your community is centered around a common theme, such as attending the same school or living in the same neighborhood.
You will get your first ambassadors that will spread and bring more people to your community.
Why do you need to drive traffic outside social media platforms?
One of the biggest benefits of social media is that it allows you to connect with your audience in real time. But if they decide to ban you, your business is over.
Social media platforms are run by third parties, and they can decide on a whim whether or not they want to allow your business to participate in their platform. If they do, they also have the power to change their policies without notice, and they can make it impossible for you to reach your audience again.
This is why you need traffic outside social media platforms—so that if one platform decides to ban you, you’ll still be able to reach your audience elsewhere.
You need to have control. When you’re talking to your audience, it’s important that you have your own space where you can talk directly with your audience.
That’s why Circle.so is such a great tool for building your brand: it lets you connect with your audience and build a community.
Now go build your amazing community 🚀